As a hairstylist I’ve definitely seen many trends come and go, but I think good eyebrows are one that’s here to stay. Microblading makes good eyebrows a piece of cake and if you look on Instagram you can see how popular it’s becoming. I actually had mine first done almost 2 months ago and the touch up about 2 weeks ago and I’m so completely in love with them! If you follow me on SnapChat ( @ashleysterusky) you probably saw me do the before and afters on there (and pretty much talk about them nonstop). So I thought I’d get a list together of the most important things you should know before getting some microblading done.
- Looks more like hair than traditional eyebrow tattooing. Microblading is done with an itty bitty razor where they tattoo on “hairs” resulting in a much more natural look. You can do this if you have good brows that you’d just like to fill in, if you have zero brows you can make your own and you can even do this if you already have had traditional tattooing done to make them look more natural. People seriously won’t even know what you’ve done, just that they look so good. I was getting compliments the minute I walked out of the salon, so get ready for them!
- It won’t last forever. Because there is no needles involved and that hairs are done with a razor, the ink doesn’t go very deep. This means that it will eventually wear off and gradually fade away. So expect future touchup appointments to maintain the look. Also, this can be a good thing as trends do change and you may not always want thicker/darker brows or you may want to slightly alter the shape. Expect them to last 1-3 years depending on your skin type.
- It’s a 2 part process. The first appointment is generally about 2 hours long and you should be fully healed within 3 weeks. Then you’ll want to schedule a touch up appointment 4 weeks from the original date. This touch up appointment will just fill in any areas that faded or that you’d like to tweak with. It will also make the microblading last longer, think 2ish years vs. just 1 year.
- They will get darker. A couple days out they’re going to seem pretty dark, don’t panic! They will lighten up considerably.
- Find someone you trust. This is your face so you definitely want to feel comfortable and not have any worries. Ask to see examples of their work and definitely set up a consolation if that helps you feel more comfortable.
- Be suuuuuper picky! I can’t stress this enough. Take your time, look in the mirror A LOT and don’t feel bad having them change something if you’re not totally happy with what’s there. There’s several colors so make sure you’re color matched prior. They can also mix colors if you’re not sold on one solid color.
- Make sure you take before and after pictures. You’re going to want to show everyone how dramatic the difference is when they say how good you look. Here’s mine! Excuse the super IPhone pics but like I said, before and afters are a must.
I think that this is one of the quickest and easiest things that you can do to make your makeup routine easier. The days when I don’t want to wear makeup I just throw on a little mascara and I’m good to walk out the door. I had my microblading done with Carmen Cherry in Scottsdale, AZ and I’ve known her for years. She’s seriously the ONLY person I trust with my skin! She’s running a summer special for microblading so if you’re interested definitely give her a call (480-332-6652) and tell her I sent you. Here’s the link to her Facebook page where you can see some of her work. She also does the best eyelash extensions ever and I wish I could carve out more time in my calendar to always have them done.
Let me know if you have any questions about microblading, I’d love to answer them for you!