So let me start this off with saying this, it’s probably not the smartest idea to start renovating your kitchen when you have a 3 week old baby and your hubby’s about to go back to work. But let’s be honest, that’s exactly what we did haha. So here we are with a now 7 week old still working on this kitchen little by little. It’s seriously taking so long because we can pretty much only work on it over the weekends so progress is seriously limited. We did just get a major step done though so I’m feeling pretty good! Here’s my inspiration board (all pictures via Pinterest) and our progress.
So far we’ve:
- Torn down the wall between the kitchen and main living area. It had a pass through window that I hated and it made the kitchen feel so closed off. It made an immediate difference! There was also some electrical stuff that needs moved around.
- Took apart the cabinets moving one double over against the wall and buying two more to make an island. This included ripping off the counters and tearing up a ton of tile which looked super awful (I took the girls out of the house away from all the dust so I only saw a little bit of this).
- I went and got a huuuuugge piece of butcher block for the island, it’s gorgeous! I can’t wait to actually see it on the island.
- I’ve bought some big farmhouse style pendant lights on major clearance at Lowe’s so I’m crossing my fingers that they work in the space, we have 12 foot ceilings so it was hard to find lights that were long enough.
- Wyatt made my shiplap dreams come true! We shiplapped the back and sides of the island and I wish I could do it everywhere. Having a Santa Fe style house makes that kind of hard though…
- Cabinets and island are together and just got painted yesterday, yay! Everything matches again.
So now comes the fun finishing stuff. Electrical and lighting, retiling the floor, deciding if we’re going to do the counters and backsplash now or wait a bit, and of course decorate! I’m so excited to show the finished product, hopefully very soon because I start back working Saturdays next week. Not going to lie, I’m all kinds of nervous about breastfeeding, missing my babies, not having enough time as a family and finishing this dang kitchen. Wish us luck!